Record Retention Guidelines

  • There is a designated record retention person at each school and/or department.

    Contact Student Services 864-1034 for directions on boxing up "STUDENT FILES" including the following “Student File” categories: CUM folders, Student Intervention Folders, Due Process Folders, and Student Health Folders.

    All other records should be boxed using the following guidelines.

    Process overview

    • Use only District approved boxes
      • available through the pony service
    • Do NOT overfill the box
      • they need to be moveable 
    • Box items with similar retention codes
      • the 1st digit of the Auditor of State retention code  
    • Do NOT mix permanent records with temporary records
    • Use the District approved labels
      • available from the Treasurer’s Office
      • follow the directions on the label
    • Meet with the building designee to add the appropriate code and disposal information to the label
    • The full code from the label should be written on all sides of the box
      • allows for easy identification if the box is placed on the shelf backwards 
    • The building designee should enter a work order to have the records moved to the appropriate storage facility
    • The yellow copy of the label should be sent to the Treasurer's Office
    • The Treasurer's Office will request record disposal yearly

    If there are any questions that the building designee cannot answer, please contact the Treasurer’s Office at 864-1040. 

Related Files